Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Backup Exec - Snapshot technology error (0xE000FE1F): The device cannot be found

In the entry Bypassing Symantec Backup Exec 2012 SharePoint backup, I mentioned that I am not able to backup my SharePoint 2010 farm and as a temporary workaround, I am backing up the content databases.  Symantec has been working on my case and I received a second debug binary from them yesterday to test it out.

After putting in the debug binary version of ndmpsrvr.dll into all my SharePoint and SQL servers, I started a test backup but it failed with the following error.

V-79-57344-65055 - Snapshot Technology: Initialization failure on: "SharePoint – sharepoint.deinfotech.com80\Content-DB 1 (SQLP01\SP_ROOTSITE)". Snapshot technology used: No.

Snapshot technology error (0xE000FE1F): The device cannot be found.

Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

V-79-57344-65055 - Snapshot Technology: Initialization failure on: "SharePoint - sharepoint.deinfotech.com80\Content-DB 100 (SQLP01\Content_IT)". Snapshot technology used: No.

Snapshot technology error (0xE000FE1F): The device cannot be found.

Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

It is a different error I am getting from my previous entry.  I went back to the backup selection and when I clicked on any resources in the selection, I got the following error.

The directory or file was not found, or could not be accessed.

image

I thought it might be caused by the debug binary so I reverted back the changes but the error persisted.  I spent hours trying to figure out what can be the cause only to realise that I have forgotten to revert back the changes I had made to the bedssps2.dll and bedssps3.dll files in order to bypass the SharePoint backup.  I had renamed bedssps2.dll and bedssps3.dll on the SQL server to bedssps2.dll.old and bedssps3.dll.old so I need to remove the .old extension.

I am not getting now when I browse the selected backup resources.  I am running a test backup now and I will check on the result tomorrow.

No comments: