Friday, July 15, 2011

Upgrading to Windows Server 2003 R2 - Setup cannot run in program compatibility mode

I was trying to upgrade one of my Windows Server 2003 to Windows Server 2003 R2 but was struck with an error message just when I started the install.

image

Setup cannot run in program compatibility mode. To run Setup normally, go to My Computer, double-click the CD icon, and then double-click the Setup.exe file.

Didn’t I just do that?  Following the instruction in the error message will not get me anywhere and here is how to get rid of this error.

Click on Start and click on “Program Compatibility Wizard”.

Click Next on the Welcome screen.

image

Select “I want to use the program in the CD-ROM drive” since my Windows Server 2003 R2 setup files are on the CD.  Click Next to continue.

image

Select “Do not apply a compatibility mode” and click Next.

image

Just click Next to continue.

image

Select “Allow non-administrator to run this program” and click Next.

image

Click Next.

image

Select “Yes, set this program to always use these compatibility settings” and click Next.

image

To choose Yes or No is up to individual’s preference.  Click Next to continue.

image

Click Finish.

image

And my upgrade went through smoothly.

No comments: