Wednesday, April 27, 2011

SQL Server 2008 R2 Installation Failed With Error Code 2337

Did an installation of SQL Server 2008 R2 and failed with the following error.

The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2337.

I downloaded the ISO file from my MSDN subscription and extracted it using WinZip 12.  I didn’t believe there is anything wrong with the ISO file and I didn’t want to spend time re-download the huge ISO file again.

It turned out the cause of the problem is extracting the ISO file using WinZip.  So I burnt the ISO file to a DVD and retry the installation.

Before I can do the re-installation, I faced the problem of uninstalling the failed installation.  When I try to uninstall the failed installation, I received an error saying the setup.rll file is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error.

This was resolved by replacing the setup.rll in Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\SQLServer2008R2\Resources\1033\ folder with the one from the DVD media in the 1033_ENU_LP\x64\Setup\sqlsupport_msi\PFiles\SqlServr\100\Setup\fe72iemr\Res\1033\ folder.

After uninstalling the failed installation, the re-installation went on smoothly by using the DVD media.

I also noticed that extracting the ISO file using WinRAR works as well.

1 comment:

brandon said...

I had the same pproblem.

This solution is not helping my case.

I´ve been trying lots LOTS of things , nothing seems to work