Thursday, October 25, 2012

vCenter Converter - vSphere 5.1 Upgrade Post Activity

Few days back, I was trying to convert a physical machine to virtual on my upgraded vSphere 5.1 environment just to find out that the Import Machine option was not there.

image

Of course, the vCenter Converter plug-in was removed during the upgrade because it is not compatible with the new version of vSphere.

So I try to search for the version of vCenter Converter plug-in but found out that the plug-in has been discontinued.  The version for vSphere 4.1 is the last available version of vCenter Converter plug-in.  There is no vCenter Converter plug-in from version 5 onwards.

http://communities.vmware.com/people/vmroyale/blog/2011/09/13/vmware-vcenter-converter-plug-in-is-removed-in-vsphere-5

However, the vCenter Converter Standalone tool is still available and the latest version as of this writing is 5.  I have also learned and tried it out myself that the vCenter Converter Standalone 5 does not work if the target is vCenter 5.1 or ESXi 5.1.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2033315

I downloaded vCenter Converter Standalone 4.3 instead of vCenter Converter Standalone 5.  I am successful in converting the physical machine to virtual machine with lower version of VM Hardware.  After the conversion, I just need to upgrade the VM Hardware to vmx-9.

Hope that VMware will soon come out with a new version to address this issue.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Was updated. :)