Monday, October 29, 2012

Initial Testing of Veeam Backup

I downloaded a copy of Veeam Backup & Replication 6.1 last week and did a quick initial test to backup two VMware virtual machines.

I am able to select the virtual disk that I want to backup instead of being forced to backup the whole virtual machine.  I am not able to do this with my current backup software.  This is a plus point for Veeam.

For the first virtual machine, I backup an 80GB virtual disk with about 27.9GB used space.  The backup took about 29 minutes to complete.  Only 15.2GB of disk storage was needed for the backup which is only 54.4% of the used space and 19% of the whole virtual disk.

For the second virtual machine, I backup a 1.2TB virtual disk with about 623GB used space.  The backup took about 9 hours 46 minutes to complete. Only 392.7GB of disk storage was needed for the backup which is only 63% of the used space and 33% of the whole virtual disk.

I am happy and impressed with the amount of saving in storage in this initial test.  The bottleneck for the backup is at the source and I am sure it can be further improve by some tweaking on the source.

Since Veeam Backup & Replication 6.5 is out this week, I will upgrade the trial and give it a try.

No comments: