Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Edit Virtual Machine failed with PropertyCollector Error

From a vCenter 4.1 update 1, I converted a template to a virtual machine.  When I try to edit the virtual machine’s properties, it failed with the following error.

Call "PropertyCollector.RetrieveContents" for object "propertyCollector" on vCenter Server "vc01.deinfotech.org" failed.

Edit VM Failed

This is a known error according to http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1025367.

The resolution is to upgrade to vCenter 4.1 update 2.  The workaround is to re-inventory the virtual machine (remove the vm from the inventory and then add it back).

I did the workaround as I need to get the deployment out fast and it works fine.  I will definitely upgrade to update 2 to get rid of the problem permanently.

No comments: