Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Customization of winLonghornGuest is not supported

I was trying to deploy a virtual machine from a Windows Server 2008 template and chose to customize using an existing customization specification.

customize using an existing customization specification

As soon as I clicked on the Finish button to start the deployment, I got the following error.

Customization of the guest operating system 'winLonghornGuest' is not supported in this configuration. Microsoft Vista (TM) and Linux guests with Logical Volume Manager are supported only for recent ESX host and VMware Tools versions. Refer to vCenter documentation for supported configurations.

winLonghornGuest

According to the following VMware KB, this can happen if my vCenter is not 4.0 Update 1 or later and if VMware Tools is not installed on the virtual machine.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1020716

Since my vCenter is 4.1 Update 1, vCenter is not 4.0 Update 1 requirement is not the cause.

vCenter Version 4.1 Update 1

So it is most likely caused by VMware Tool not installed on the template.  I converted the template back to virtual machine and power it on.  True enough, VMware Tool was not installed.  I installed the VMware Tool, converted it back to template and I am able to deploy the virtual machine with customization successfully.

No comments: