Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Windows Server 2008–Manual Windows Update Error Code 8024402C

Being a good, responsible and security conscious system administrator, I tried to manually run Windows Update on my newly installed Windows Server 2008 R2 OS.

I ran the Windows Update, click on the “Check for updates” button.

image

And this is what I get… “An error occurred while checking for new updates for your computer.” “Error(s) found: Code 8024402C Windows Update encountered an unknown error.” No point clicking on the “Try again” because it will throw you the same error again. If you read further down, it said “You receive updates: Managed by your system administrator” and “Check online for updates from Windows Update”. Hmmm….yes, of course it is us the system administrator that managed the update. Okay, enough of the truth that we know. Just click on the “Check online for updates from Windows Update” and you have just outsourced the managing of updates to errhhhh….someone.

image

And yes, the Windows Update is finally updating….

image

I thought the message “Check online for updates from Windows Update” can be a little more intuitive. What do you think?

3 comments:

Dora said...

Haha ^_^

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this. I spent a good hour trying to figure out what the hell was going on with my 08 servers!

Alex Siow said...

Hi Tyler, I am glad that this post is useful to you :)