Monday, April 10, 2017

Windows Update Error Code 80070002

 

Encountered the following error when trying to install Windows update on one of my Windows Server 2008 R2 server.

Code 8007002   Windows Update encountered an unknown error.

image

I tried the resolution in https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/910336/windows-update-error-0x80070002-or-0x80070003.

I followed step 1 to step 3.

  1. Stop Windows Update Service.
  2. Delete all files/folders in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore and C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download.
  3. Start Windows Update Service.

It did not resolve the issue.

I tried to install the System Update Readiness tool but it failed to install.

So I did a sfc /scannow and following is the result of the scan.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.

Reviewed the CBS log file and found the following line.

[SR] Could not reproject corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:46{23}]"\??\C:\Windows\System32"\[l:22{11}]"wuauclt.exe"; source file in store is also corrupted

The wuauclt.exe was corrupted.  I replaced wuauclt.exe from another server and it resolved the error and I can install the update.

No comments: