Friday, July 13, 2012

SQL Server 2012–improved validation on setup account privileges

I was installing few days ago and I have forgotten to grant my account the “Debug programs” and “Generate security audits” rights on the server.  All our servers have been harden so even the local administrator group does not have the two rights.

I went ahead to start the installation and it failed at the “Setup Support Rules” step.

02

I clicked on the “Failed” link to get more information about the error and was reminded of the missing rights I need.

02_error

In the prior version, the installation will just continue and will fail towards the end of the installation.  So if this happens in the prior version, I will have to uninstall and reinstall which is time consuming.

The improved validation really save me from the hassle of reinstallation this time round.

No comments: