Monday, May 14, 2012

Do not have permission to create computer object for Cluster Name

The cluster configuration validation test showed that the account used to run the validation does not have the permission to create computer object.

Does not have permissions to create computer objects

I ignored the warning and continue with the Windows Server 2008 R2 cluster creation and at the Access Point for Administering the Cluster I encountered “You do not have permissions to create a computer object in the Active Directory.”.

You do not have permissions to create a computer object in the Active Directory

By default, the computer object will be created in the Computers container but the account I am using do not have the permission to do so.  However, the account I am using has full control on an OU which I manage.  So to workaround the problem, I will pre-create the computer in the OU which the account has full control.

Pre-create computer account

What if the account I am using totally does not have the permission to create computer object?  Then I will need someone with the permission to create for me and grant the account I am using full control on pre-created computer object.

Grant full control

The pre-created computer object will need to be disabled otherwise you will get the following error.

An enabled computer object for ‘xxxxxxxx’ was found.  This usually means that the name is in use by another computer or cluster network name.  If this is not the case then please disable or delete the Active Directory Computer Object.

An enabled computer object was found

According to How to Create a Cluster in a Restrictive Active Directory Environment, Windows Server 2012 provides the flexibility of entering the cluster name in full distinguished name.  Maybe adding a browse button to browse and select the OU will be even better.

No comments: