Tuesday, April 10, 2012

ESXi 5 Update 1 Resolved Join AD Domain And Not Showing List Of AD Domains Issues

In my previous post http://deinfotech.blogspot.com/2012/03/problem-joining-esxi-50-host-to-active.html, I mentioned that I am not able to join ESXi 5 host to AD Domain because TCP Port 53 is not open in the ESXi firewall by default.  My workaround is to create a custom firewall rule set to open up TCP Port 53.

With ESXi 5 Update 1, this has been resolved.  TCP Port 53 is now included in the DNS Client rule and is opened by default.  This is documented in the VMware ESXi 5.0 Update 1 Release Notes.

ESXi 5 Update 1 DNS TCP Port Open

There is another issue that ESXi 5 Update 1 resolved for me which I don’t see documented in the release notes.  Although I am able to join pre Update 1 ESXi 5 host to AD Domain but when I tried to grant permission to AD user or group, the Domain dropdown list in the “Select Users and Groups” windows only showed (server).  There is no AD domain shown in the list.  I have the same issue with vCenter Server Appliance (vCSA).

ESXi5 No Domain

Upgrading to ESXi 5 Update 1 solved the problem. I am now able to see all my AD domains listed in the Domain dropdown list.  I am hoping that VMware will release the update for vCenter Server Appliance (vCSA) soon to solve the same issue.

No comments: