Friday, January 20, 2012

Backup Exec - Unable to open a disk of the virtual machine

In my earlier post “Backup Exec – VMware Backup Transport Mode”, I talked about how to configure Backup Exec to use “SAN – Use the SAN to move virtual disk data.” which requires presenting the SAN LUNs of the vSphere hosts to the backup server.

For testing purpose, I assigned just one LUN to the backup server and the “SAN – Use the SAN to move virtual disk data.” works well.  After confirming that it works, I assigned the rest of the LUNs to the backup server and create a backup job to backup virtual machines residing in the newly assigned LUNs but the job failed with the following error.

V-79-57344-38277 - Unable to open a disk of the virtual machine.

VixDiskLib_Open() reported the error: You do not have access rights to this file
V-79-57344-38277 - Unable to open a disk of the virtual machine.

VixDiskLib_Open() reported the error: You do not have access rights to this file

The error code leads me to the following KB Article.

Backup Exec Agent for VMware (AVVI) job of a virtual machine fails with error: "V-79-57344-38277 - Unable to open a disk of the virtual machine. VixDiskLib_Open() reported the error: You do not have access rights to this file."

I ruled out solution 1 of the KB Article because the permissions was correctly set.  I ruled out solution 2 of the KB Article because I am sure that it was not due to application level quiescing. I ruled out solution 3 of KB Article as well because I am able to see the disks online and it is showing healthy.

It means that there is no more solution for me to try.  So I did something that I ought to have tried first.  Reboot the backup server.  That’s it, it solved the problem.

2 comments:

TurboZag said...

Thanks for this solution, even if in my case it was a DNS resolution problem.
I've had this problem in a 3-node VMware vSphere 5.1 cluster (nodes named esx1, esx2, esx3).

I noticed that the error came up only when migrating VMs to the esx3 host.

After trying any solution around without success, I've solved it adding the appropriate DNS record esx3.mynetwork.lan for the problematic host, and it worked!

I hope will be useful to other Backup Exec 2012 users...

Alex Siow said...

Thanks for sharing your solution.