Thursday, September 08, 2011

ODBC System DSN Warning–You are logged on with non-Administrative privileges

I was trying to create a ODBC System DSN on a Windows Server 2008 (with Service Pack 2) and was hit by a warning message once I click on the System DSN tab.

You are logged on with non-Administrative privileges.  System DSNs could not be created or modified.

image

UAC ( User Access Control) was disabled.  I have even tried running it as Administrator (although it does not make sense since UAC is already disabled).  But I am still getting the same warning.

Well, I decided to go ahead and created a test DSN and it allowed me to add (how surprise).  By creating the first System DSN also get rid of the warning message.

5 comments:

Jason said...

Perfect! Now I feel quite ashamed that I did not at least give it a try before turning to Google. But thanks for being wise and brave enough to click the button.

anurag said...

You know what, I LOVE YOU!


This worked man, thanks a lot!

anurag said...

check this out!

anurag said...

http://www.mqseries.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=352878#352878

Paul Schmidt said...

Forget you Anurag.... I love him MORE! :) I've been banging my head for two whole days on this. Yeah, should have just clicked the button anyway and not trusted Windows. Lesson learned.