Friday, January 14, 2011

Errors Installing Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R2

I was trying to install to install Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R2 on a test server today and was really pissed off with the installation.  The test server is running Windows Server 2008 R2 x64.

I started by downloading the installation package from Symantec fileconnect.  Extract the ISO image to a folder and double click on Browser.exe and that was the start of my journey to this painful installation.  I received the following error message when I tried to run Browser.exe.

image

Hmmm… did I download a package for other operating system?

Okay, I decided to skip the Browser thingy and went straight to run setup.exe in the WinNT\Install\BE64.  It started well, but when it reached the Environment Check step, it threw out another error.

image

Found this on Symantec website  http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH124316.  Replaced the VxValidatorOps.dll but still no luck.

Anyway, if I click the OK button, I get the following screen and I can still choose to continue which I did after I gave up fixing the VxValidatorOps.dll error.

image

As I continue, the installation started and just as I thought everything is okay, error pop-up again.

image

Arghh.. . the ReportViewer.exe is not for x64!!!  I downloaded the ReportViewer.exe which support x64 from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=82833F27-081D-4B72-83EF-2836360A904D&displaylang=en and installed it.  I also replaced the ReportViewer.exe in the WinNT\Install\ReportViewer folder with the one I downloaded and re-run the setup.

The installation ran and again I was hit by another error.  The Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable found in WinNT\Install\VCRedist is not for x64 although the file name is vcredist_x64.exe.  What the heck!  What is happening?

I downloaded the correct vcredist_x64.exe from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=EB4EBE2D-33C0-4A47-9DD4-B9A6D7BD44DA&displaylang=en and  installed it.  I also replaced the copy in the WinNT\Install\VCRedist with the one I downloaded.  This is before I re-run the setup, I downloaded the SQL Express 2008 R2 from https://www.microsoft.com/betaexperience/pd/SQLEXPDBMT64/enus/ and installed it.  If you planned to use an existing SQL Server, there is no need to do so.  By installing SQL Express 2008 R2, .Net Framework 3.5 was also installed.  I have a feeling that the .Net Framework 3.5 provided by the package is also not for x64.

Okay, I re-run the setup and when prompted for the SQL Server, I choose to use the SQL Express 2008 R2 which I installed and everything went on smoothly.

Thanks to not having the correct components in the installation package (no excuse for this) that I have to go through all these hassle. Steaming mad

No comments: